Monday, June 3, 2013

When in Lebanon...


Poison of Choice : Almaza
Type of Beer: Pilsner

Because I was slightly behind on this blogging ordeal, I had to drink a few times today, not that I'm really complaining. This afternoon, for my lovely friend Shannon's belated birthday present, I took her out for hookah time and I tried something I've never experienced before: Lebanese beer. I never really thought about it before. It didn't cross my mind that they had their own style. I simply had to try it. One Almaza, please!

The bartender explained to me that the traditional way of drinking this beverage is with a lemon syrup of some sort and salt of the rim. I was all for the full Lebanese experience. When in Lebanon, yeah know? I have to say, this experience was relatively lack luster. This extremely pale lager had no distinct flavors outside the salt and lemon, which were added to the beer. Perhaps it holds no true value outside of what is added to it? I felt like it was similar to drinking a very cheap lager, just dressed up as something fancy. A disappointment actually. 

I'm not saying it's bad - absolutely not. It was quite tasty. I would choose sugar instead of salt though, I think. That had me squeezing my eyes shut in salty horror. It was definitely a delicious beer, just a light one with no really significant flavor. I would choose something else if you're looking for a more hearty experience, because you won't find it here. But of course, if you want to tote around the badge of honor for drinking a Lebanese beer, as I'm sure some people probably do - go right ahead. You won't be disgusted, at least.



No comments:

Post a Comment