Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Hardly a "Vanilla" Beer


Poison of Choice: Breckenridge Brewery's Vanilla Porter
Type of Beer: Porter

Last night in the name of homework, I met up with my best gal pal Nikki for a couple drinks after one of my late night summer classes. We decided to venture to the Wickenden Pub, just a short skip from her apartment. What was meant to just be a normal outing for us turned out to be quite the little party. Our old friend from high school decided to meet up with us before he traveled back to California and Nikki's new beau ended up showing up as well.  The night was basically drinking a ton of great beer and non-stop tasteless, obnoxious jokes. Awesome, right?

My first drink of the night was something that just called to me. The word "VANILLA" sprawled out on the handle of tap made me eager to try it more than anything else. I'm a sucker for vanilla, honestly. This beer did not disappoint! Although the actual flavor the beer was that deep hoppy bitterness I love so much, the aroma of vanilla was distinct and sexy. Like a Yankee Candle.

Ain't she a beaut?
After doing a little research, I figured out what was the only thing "wrong" with it. I put wrong in quotations because normally I'm not that much a stickler on temperatures and I still think the beer was excellent. During my first sip, all I could think about was how surprised I was because of the frigid temperature of the porter. According to Rate My Beer, a Porter should be "cool", approximately 45 -54 degrees Fahrenheit  What I received was downright chilly. As I said early, it was still fantastic. Only a snob would turn down this drink because it's just too damn cold.

Any who, great beer. Would definitely recommend it. Till next time, folks.



No comments:

Post a Comment