Saturday, June 1, 2013

Let's Start Off with a Bang, Shall we?

Poison of Choice : Guinness Draught
Type of Beer: Irish Dry Stout

It was on a fine autumn day that I was introduced to such a fine beverage. I studied abroad in England back in the fall semester of 2011 and my main goal was to get drunk almost every single day. I was 20 at the time, and this was my method of getting back at the American system - destroying my liver one beer at a time in foreign countries. It was a fine endeavor I set out to accomplish and one I will never regret.

My adorable English friend Laura set out to right my oh so wrong opinions about the Irish beverage. I had tasted a sip of Guinness in a past life and immediately deemed it to be garbage. Worse than any sort of Coors Light or PBR. At the time, I could barely finish the bottle. Perhaps I wasn't introduced to it the right way. Perhaps it wasn't poured correctly. All I know is that my first "true" sip of this luxury beverage was at a rugby match between the Scotland and Reading teams . Laura's on the left in that picture. The drunk version of me is on the right. 



After this first true encounter, I had a sort of love affair with all things Guinness. I purchased a pint during every outing just as a warm up. It was my go-to drink when the times got tough or I simply wanted to warm my insides. What a man could not do, Guinness always could. As the signs throughout the Guinness Factory in Ireland told me repeatedly, Guinness was and always will be good for me and it has the power to make me happy and strong. Don't mind if I agree with that statement and take a sip of your magic elixir of life.



This, of course, leads me to today. I'm 22 years old now, still chugging Guinness on the regular. Just last night, I drowned my soon-to-be-unemployed work related sorrows in a can of this wonderful stout at the Dueling Pianos lounge in Providence. There's something about the flavor that really makes your feel like you're having a worth while beverage. Maybe its the strong, rich flavor you get in every sip. Maybe it's that classic chocolate-ity taste everyone always comments on. Personally, I think that thick head of foam is what draws me in. When poured correctly, Guinness is a masterpiece.

I learned about the methods of pouring back in Ireland. According to the company, it should take about two minutes to pour the beer. This means you have to apply a little time and effort into this. You have to set forth the method of the "double pour". 


As with most beers, hold the glass at a 45 degree angle while pouring. At the three quarter mark - STOP. The idea is to let the nitrogen in the beverage to settle. This will allow those wonderful bubbles to make that creamy, delicious white head. You have to allow the beer to settle. Once your Guinness is completely black beneath the head, it's time to finish off your glass by pouring straight down into the glass - no angles. Next step is to enjoy. Stop reading this, and go grab yourself one. And make sure either you or the bartender pours it right. It honestly makes all the difference. 


See, I passed! So can you.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Kristen,
    I think the About Me section of your blog fairly captures the tone and spirit you demonstrate in your first post: breezy, irreverent, a perhaps politically incorrect attitude toward alcohol and intoxication. I enjoyed the inclusion of photos, they support your rather fanatical allegiance to Guinness I wonder of you are equally enthusiastic about other beers as well. Guinness is a fine beer, I've enjoyed it many times myself, how do you feel about black and tans? Will you also beer featuring less known harder to find micro-brews?

    ReplyDelete
  2. About me: Your about me really shows who you are! I think to enhance it, you should try to write more about your experience with beer. Maybe list your favorite kinds, and how you are knowledgable.

    Description: I love the description! I feel like the words have so much life. I think your personality really shines through, and readers will know exactly what they are getting. I don't think it could be improved, it's already fabulous.

    First post: Your first post is so cute! I love how you included so many photos! I immediately noticed that you are knowledgeable of your topic, and know a lot about the flavor of beer and the pouring technique. I will definitely continue reading your blog - and might even try a Guinness as well!

    ReplyDelete